Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Adventures of Mass Transit


I ride the MAX (commuter train) everyday to and from work. On the way home my friend Iñaki rides with me so we can protect each other. We usually just zone out and ignore what is going on around us, but sometimes you just can't. Sometimes we roll our eyes, we laugh, we are shock (amazing that we are shocked at anything on there at this point) and we are frightened. Today was one of those days that was entertaining and a little frightening at the same time. We happened to sit by a gentleman who felt the need to talk for the duration of his ride with us. He broke the ice by telling a joke so we both politely laughed at which point he said (to me), 'You have beautiful eyes! They are so full of laughter and happiness.' I thanked him and then he proceeded to say, 'You must have Irish or Scotch in you.' I told him that I do have a little of that. Then things got weird. He launched into this speech about how he can tell people's heritage by their eyes or hands. He told Iñaki that his hands indicated he was from Italian and German heritage. Well, he was way off on that one. Iñaki is Spanish. Haha! We just kept trying to be polite and converse with him, secretly hoping he would get off the train soon. When he finally did get off the train we laughed a little, mostly out of relief, and then Iñaki says, 'He is like one of those guys that kills people and collects their fingers or something.' We laughed, frightened, looking around to make sure he wasn't secretly following us. I told him now I was going to have horrible dreams tonight about losing my fingers and eyes because they are beautiful. Oh the adventures of Mass Transit. At least I have beautiful eyes. That made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment