Yesterday in Sunday School our lesson was about Service. I am always thinking about whether or not I do enough for others and if I should do more. I feel though, that when I think about it more, I don't take the time to actually let those situations happen. I think taking the time is the key. I can be pretty selfish with my time although I don't think that is intentional, but it is just me, so it tends to happen. While people were giving comments on Service they have had done to them or that they have been able to do I was thinking about the best benefit of service. For me, and again this is probably entirely selfish, I always feel so much better when I have the opportunity to serve others. It gives me a chance to step outside of myself and see my trials in a broader perspective. I did share a story about one day that completely turned around for me because of an opportunity I had to serve someone. I think it was the first time I shared that story.
It was in November 2008, I had gone into work that morning to find out that I was one of a few that were being layed off from our jobs because of the economy. I was devistated. I cried the whole way home on the train. I got home and cried on my roommates shoulder for awhile. So many thoughts were running through my head about what I was going to do and how I was going to support myself. I decided to go for a run because that always helps me think better and clear my mind. I was about three miles into my run when I noticed an elderly woman ahead of me carrying her groceries. But she would have to stop every 20 feet or so to set them down and rest. As I approached her I asked if she needed help. She was very grateful and mentioned that her usual ride to the store had fallen through that day. So we walked the rest of the way to her home and I helped her with a couple of things and just talked to her for awhile. She was so sweet and gave me so much assurance that I would find another job.
I couldn't help but leave her place feeling so uplifted. It turned my whole day around and put some perspective on my situation. In the middle of all my turmoil, I was able to help someone's day go a little better and in turn it helped me probably more. I think that our Heavenly Father knows what we need when we don't even realize it ourselves. After that I pushed forward working everyday on trying to find a job. My roommates commented that I was the best unemployed person ever because I had so much determination. I think it was that sweet little lady that allowed me to help her that day. So keep an eye out, on your worst day you might just end up having the BEST DAY EVER!
In the movie 'Chocolat' there is a moment when the Pere Henri (the pastor) is giving his sermon and he says, 'I think we can't go around measuring our goodness by what we don't do. By what we deny ourselves, what we resist, and who we exclude. I think we need to measure our goodness by what we embrace, what we create AND who we include.' I think this definitely includes who we serve.
No comments:
Post a Comment