Friday, January 27, 2012

Endure what needs enduring....

My dear friends Ross and Haylie gave me a book for Christmas one year about running. As most of you know, I LOVE to run! So to read about others and what motivates them to run, I love that! It motivates me even more. I wish I could remember the name of the book and the author, but they are in storage right now with all my other books. I did type up and keep in my daily planner a small excerpt from his book. When I remember his name I will share that and give him credit. I think the advice can be applied to so much more than just running.

     "One by one, I'll face the tasks before me and complete them as best I can. Focusing on each stride forward, but at the same time taking in a long-range view, scanning the scenery as far ahead as I can.
I am, after all, a long-distance runner.
     My time, the rank I attain, my outward appearance - all of these are secondary. For a runner like me, what's really important is reaching the goal I set for myself, under my own power. I give it everything I have, endure what needs enduring, and am able, in my own way, to be satisfied. From out of the failures and joys I always try to come away having grasped a concrete lesson. And I hope that, over time, as one race follows another, in the end I'll reach a place I'm content with. Or maybe just catch a glimpse of it."


No comments:

Post a Comment