Most of you don't know this about me, but I suffer from Seasonal Depression. I didn't realize how badly until last year when some personal issues really accelerated the 'funk' I am usually in during the winter months. Every year I dread, more than anything, Daylight Savings. I hate when we have to take our clocks back an hour and we lose the amount of sunlight we have during the day. But while living in Portland, it was even worse. You would go to work in the dark and come home in the dark, but the in between didn't matter anyway because it was always gray and rainy. The first 5 winters I was there didn't get to me so much, however, last winter, I knew that I couldn't deal with the continuous gray skies much longer. I love the Portland Summers, but I just couldn't do another dreary winter there. So after moving to Utah and getting below that 45th parallel, winter was much better. Granted we didn't quite have a winter here. I don't think we had a snow storm that left snow on the ground for longer than a day except in the mountain, but even they haven't had much snow. But still, the amount of sunshine was much better for me this winter. And thank Heaven for Vitamin D!!! So I can say with much excitement that I can't wait for two weeks from now when we get to jump our clocks forward an hour to increase the amount of daylight we have every day.
So to counteract the 'funk' I find myself in I try to surround myself with warm, sunny, summier things. This ranges from the movies I watch to the music I listen too to the exercise routine and the foods that I eat. I find myself surfing travel sights to tropical, sunny locations. I refuse to watch sad movies. They all have to be sunny, feel good, happy ending movies. I have been trying to find a cheap vacation spot to visit this year, however, I have not been very successful at the 'cheap' aspect of that. If anyone has suggestions of travel packages I am completely open to those. I find myself listening to upbeat, happy music. Bob Marley is a great one to listen too. You just can't be in a bad mood with him.
So while I not so patiently wait for warmer weather, I will continue to try to make my surrounding sunnier and happier to get me through these winter blues.

No comments:
Post a Comment